Joyce’s Clocks

The Main Exhibition Hall in the Whitchurch Heritage Centre, heralds the work of Whitchurch firm J.B. Joyce who established in the Town in 1790 and are still producing Tower Clocks today.

William Joyce began making long case clocks in the North Shropshire village of Cockshutt. The family business was handed down from father to son and in 1790 moved to High Street, Whitchurch Shropshire.

In 1834 Thomas Joyce embarked on making large clocks for local churches and public buildings.

Joyce clocks can be found at Bronnington, Hanmer, Marchwiel, Overton, Worthenbury, Tallern Green and Ruabon Churches.

In 1849 the company copied the Big Ben escapement designed by Lord Grimthorpe. The firm made large clocks for many public buildings, both at home and overseas.

The following video shows the mechanism of a Joyce clock and is titled –  “Clock Tower Joyce Whitchurch Denison gear”

Joyce clocks can still be seen at many railway stations.

Liverpool Lime Street

G.W. and L.N.W.R.

Carnforth Lancashire